3 Things You Should Do if Your Child Has Been Charged With a Crime

You just found out your child has been charged with a crime. You're confused, scared and uncertain about how to help your child through this. You're not alone. It's normal to be unsure about how to move forward, but here are three things you must do in this situation.

  1. Find out what your child's rights are. Knowing your child's rights, especially if he or she is a minor, is extremely important. For those inexperienced with the criminal justice system, it's easy to believe that the officers have your child's best interests at heart, are doing everything by the book and are being honest about what they can and cannot do. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case. If you have questions about what your child's rights are, it's important to talk with a criminal defense attorney and not just rely on what the officers involved tell you.
  2. Put forth the best possible defense strategy. The legal system is complicated and intimidating, and your child will need someone looking out for his or her interests and doing everything possible to protect his or her rights. It can be tempting to navigate the system alone, just trying to get it over with as quickly as possible, but your child's best chance is a strong defense strategy, and for that, you need a criminal defense attorney who is experienced with handling these issues.
  3. Don't forget yourself. When your child is facing criminal charges, it's normal for everything else to fall by the wayside. However, this is likely to be a very challenging and emotionally taxing time. Your child needs your support, but to do that in the best way possible, you'll have to take of yourself as well. Make sure you're getting enough sleep and eating nutritious food, even if you don't feel like it. It may also be helpful to talk to a counselor or therapist who can be your sounding board for all of the different emotions, thoughts and fears you're experiencing.

If your child is the subject of a police investigation or is already facing charges, now is the time to reach out to an attorney for assistance. Contact the office of Attorney Andrew H. Stevenson today to discuss your child's case.