Nationally Recognized. Locally Respected.
Murder Defense Attorney in Athens and Lancaster, OH
Strong Defense Against Homicide Charges in Lancaster, OH
If you, a family member or loved one is facing Murder, Manslaughter, or Homicide charges do not give up hope. I am a skilled advocate who will fight for your life and your freedom. With offices in Lancaster and Athens, I have successfully tried Murder and Capital Murder cases throughout Ohio. Every case is unique, and I understand how to create a strategic defense that will resonate with judges and juries. As your attorney, I will stand by you all the way and utilize every legal means of defense.
Uniquely Qualified to Handle Your Case
- Certified by the Ohio Supreme Court as lead counsel in death penalty cases.
- Death Penalty Qualified by the Ohio Supreme Court in terms of both skill and experience
- A Ph.D. in sociology/criminology.
- A strong background in forensics.
- More than 25 years of experience handling murder and homicide cases.
Forensics Are Key in Murder Cases
Murder cases are unique in that the victim is unavailable to testify, so the story of "Who, What and How" has to be told through the forensic evidence. I have developed strategies and methods to effectively tell my client's story through the forensic evidence. I have been successful in many murder cases due to my understanding and interpretation of the forensic evidence. I have worked with and/or cross-examined experts at trial in the following forensic fields:
- Autopsy / Forensic Pathology
- Blood splatter
- Psychology / Psychiatry
Types of Murder and Homicide Charges I have Successfully Defended
I can represent you if you are facing homicide charges such as:
- Capital murder with death penalty specifications
- Reckless homicide and negligent homicide
- Shaken baby charges
- Aggravated vehicular homicide
Because you could be facing life in prison or the death penalty, your lawyer must have the skill to fight the prosecution and the experience to know when a trial is the right move. After investigating the case and examining the prosecution's evidence, I will discuss your options with you, explaining the potential risks and benefits of going to trial.
Investigation and Expert Analysis
Preparing for a murder case requires an investigation that includes:
- Collecting and examining the physical evidence
- Crime scene investigation
- Locating and interviewing witnesses
- Working with forensic experts
- Preparing witnesses to testify
Qualifications for Appointment as Council in Capital Cases
Andrew H. Stevenson is qualified by the Ohio Supreme Court as lead counsel in death penalty cases.
To obtain lead counsel designation, the Supreme Court requires that an attorney possess all of the following qualifications:
- Admission to the practice of law in Ohio or admission to practice pro hac vice.
- Demonstrated commitment to providing high quality legal representation in the defense of capital cases.
- Substantial knowledge and understanding of the relevant state, federal, and international law, both procedural and substantive, governing capital cases.
- Skill in the management and conduct of complex negotiations and litigation.
- Skill in legal research, analysis, and the drafting of litigation documents.
- Skill in oral advocacy.
- Skill in the use of expert witnesses and familiarity with common areas of forensic investigation, including fingerprints, ballistics, arson, forensic pathology, and DNA evidence.
- Skill in the investigation, preparation, and presentation of evidence bearing upon mental status.
- Skill in the investigation, preparation, and presentation of mitigating evidence.
- Skill in the elements of trial advocacy, such as jury selection, cross-examination of witnesses, and opening and closing statements." Ohio Supreme Court Rules of Court App.Coun.R.3.01.
“Mr. Stevenson cared about our son as a person. He listened. He was available, responsive and kept us informed.”
“The most professional in communication, often going above to satisfy our schedules and location of residence.”
“Ability to successfully negotiate has eliminated many courtroom hours, while his ability as a trial lawyer wins cases.”
“Respectful, dedicated and trustworthy. Andrew was extremely helpful in resolving a legal issue of mine.”
“He kept me well informed of the progress with my case and quickly responded to any questions I had.”
About Andrew H. Stevenson
Meet Andrew H. Stevenson - Attorney at law & doctor of philosophy in criminology.Why Hire Me
Hear what clients have to say about their experience with Andrew H. Stevenson.Reviews
A criminal charge should not define you. Read how I have helped my clients.My Wins